cPanel is a Linux-based web hosting control panel that provides a graphical interface and automation tools designed to simplify the process of hosting a web site. cPanel utilizes a 3 tier structure that provides capabilities for administrators, resellers, and end-user website owners to control the various aspects of website and server administration through a standard web browser.
cPanel is designed to function either as a dedicated server or virtual private server. The latest cPanel version supports installation on CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and CloudLinux OS. cPanel 11.30 is the last major version to support FreeBSD
cPanel control panel is designed for managing separate hosting accounts on the server. End users/clients are able to:
- upload and manage files for their websites
- edit DNS records for their domains
- add/remove addon domains and subdomains
- install CMS using Softaculous script installer
- create email accounts
- manage email settings and SPAM protection
- check website statistics
- manage databases and backups, etc.